Editor’s note: The GCM team will be doing our best to maintain an up-to-date feed of announcements on this page. If you have news you think belongs here, please email GCMOnline.com editor Megan Hirt.
Thursday, July 15, 2021
• John Deere and Pinehurst Resort have finalized a long-term agreement that names the manufacturer as Pinehurst’s preferred equipment provider. As a part of the agreement, Revels Turf & Tractor, one the largest John Deere golf and turf distributors, will provide equipment service and support for the machines used to maintain the nine renowned Pinehurst Resort golf courses. The agreement will also allow the brand and the golf destination to partner on industry-growth initiatives, including Green Start Academy, which has moved to Pinehurst for its 2021 edition.
Tuesday, July 13, 2021
• Tedd Evans, CGCS, a 37-year GCSAA member and founding member of the South Dakota GCSA, has been elected to the South Dakota Golf Association Hall of Fame. Evans will be inducted during a ceremony on Sept. 20. Read more from the Argus Leader.
• Eastpointe Country Club in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla,. has retained its designation as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary. Eastpointe Country Club was first named a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary in 2007, and courses go through a recertification process every three years. Thirty-one-year GCSAA member John Spiwak is the director of golf course grounds at Eastpointe Country Club. Robert Uzar, superintendent of the facility’s East Course and a 12-year GCSAA member, spearheaded the club’s past two Audubon certifications.
• Steel Green Manufacturing has relaunched its SG46 mid-sized zero-turn sprayer-spreader with an increased liquid capacity of 50 gallons (up from 30 gallons). The SG46 sprayer-spreader holds up to 320 pounds of granular products with its Spyker 220-pound hydraulic-driven granular system and dual high-density poly fertilizer trays. The machine is powered by a 23.5-horsepower Kawasaki engine. Learn more.
• SePRO has welcomed two employees in its Turf & Ornamental division. Aaron Palmateer, Ph.D., has joined as a technical development leader for ornamentals. Palmateer received his doctorate in plant pathology from Auburn University and his master’s and bachelor’s degrees in plant and soil science from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. Also joining the SePRO team is Casey Zeller in the role of portfolio leader for Turf & Ornamental. Zeller holds a degree in agricultural economics from Purdue University.
Wednesday, July 7, 2021
• Troon has been selected to manage The Club at Pasadera in Monterey, Calif. Troon Privé, the private-club-operating division of Troon, will manage golf, resort-style amenities, food and beverage operations, golf course agronomy and membership marketing at the country club. The Club at Pasadera, set on a mountain ridge just off the Monterey-Salinas highway, opened in 2000 and features a Jack Nicklaus Signature Design golf course. Read more.
• Turf Care Products Canada and The Toro Co. have announced a 10-year partnership with The Pulpit Club in Caledon, Ontario. The long-term commitment is the first of its kind in Canada and will include The Pulpit Club’s exclusive use of Toro equipment and irrigation systems on both of its award-winning 18-hole golf courses. The Pulpit Club will also be featured as a new Toro equipment and irrigation training center. Read more.
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
• John Deere Chairman and CEO John May will caddie for Allison Farrell, module leader at John Deere Cylinder Works in Moline, Ill., on Wednesday, July 7, during the pro-am for this week’s John Deere Classic at TPC Deere Run in Silvis, Ill. Farrell won the company’s “Take the Tee for Me” contest in which employees made videos explaining what it means to have the John Deere Classic in the Quad Cities. May chose Farrell’s video (below) as the winner.
• Kalida fungicide from FMC Corp. has received U.S. EPA registration. The active ingredients in Kalida include fluindapyr, a novel broad-spectrum SDHI, and flutriafol, a next-generation DMI. According to FMC Corp., Kalida provides control of diseases such as Bipolaris leaf spot, take-all root rot, fairy ring and mini-ring in warm-season turf, and anthracnose, fairy ring, summer patch and brown patch in cool-season turf. Learn more and request a free sample of Kalida.
• Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply has opened a new store in Knoxville, Tenn., offering a variety of products for golf course superintendents and other turf professionals. The nationwide distributor has three additional locations in the state — in Nashville, Murfreesboro and Cordova — and has plans to expand further in Tennessee. Read more.
• Zac Reicher, Ph.D., of the Bayer Green Solutions Team has published a new “Talking Turf” blog post: Tank mixes: Don’t assume all components are compatible.
Friday, July 2, 2021
• The USGA has ended its executive search service for golf course superintendents. Read a statement on the decision from GCSAA President Mark F. Jordan, CGCS.
• Horticulture disinfectant KleenGrow has received approval as a fungicide from Health Canada. According to the company, KleenGrow is effective against a host of fungi and algae found on plants, in soils and on roots, including Pythium, powdery mildew, penicillium, fusarium and botrytis. Learn more.
Thursday, July 1, 2021
• Two GCSAA members recently achieved Certified Golf Course Superintendent status:
Michael J. Heustis, CGCS, Biltmore Forest Country Club, Asheville, N.C.
Ross M. Miller, CGCS, Country Club of Detroit, Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
• Fifteen GCSAA members recently achieved Class A superintendent status:
Gerald A. Beierschmitt, Rheinblick Golf Course, Wiesbaden, Germany
Kenneth Boyce, Randolph Oaks Golf Course, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
Colt Brown, The Club at Ibis, West Palm Beach, Fla.
Clarence Covington, Jupiter Hills Club, Tequesta, Fla.
Jason M. Doney, Berkleigh Golf Club, Kutztown, Pa.
Dylan L. Drost, Burnt Store Marina & Country Club, Punta Gorda, Fla.
Trevor A. Elliott, Mesquite Grove Golf Course, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
Ryan A. Godard, Mount Pleasant (Mich.) Country Club
Mena O. Hermogenes, Hollybrook Golf & Tennis Club, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
Adam R. Levinsohn, Berkeley Country Club, El Cerrito, Calif.
James R. Lord, Mountain Valley Golf Course, Barnesville, Pa.
Carlyle M. Merring, Sara Bay Country Club, Sarasota, Fla.
Mitchell E. Savage, CommonGround Golf Course, Aurora, Colo.
Kevin R. Towe, The Golf Club of Georgia, Alpharetta, Ga.
Kory M. Wesselman, Argyle Country Club, Silver Spring, Md.
• Bayer announced that its new insecticide, Tetrino, is now available. The company says Tetrino can be used as a single application for fast, season-long control of annual bluegrass weevil, white grubs, billbugs and other turf-damaging pests. Tetrino features the new active ingredient tetraniliprole, which is absorbed through the roots and shoots of turf and causes immediate cessation of insect feeding following exposure. Learn more.
• Vertex Aquatic Solutions announced the launch of its Oxygenation Saturation Technology (OST), which the company says eliminates lake anoxia while preserving stratification. The patent-pending oxygenation system is based on side-stream saturation technology, which pumps low-dissolved-oxygen water from a water body, saturates it with oxygen, and then returns the water. Learn more.