Editor’s note: The GCM team will be doing our best to maintain an up-to-date feed of announcements on this page. If you have news you think belongs here, please email GCMOnline.com editor Megan Hirt.
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
• Thirty-year GCSAA member Rory Van Poucke, GCSAA Class A superintendent at Apache Sun Golf Club in San Tan Valley, Ariz., has been appointed to the Phoenix Groundwater Users Advisory Council. Members of the council are appointed by the governor based on their knowledge of, interest in and experience with water use and conservation. Among the council members’ duties are making recommendations on groundwater management programs and policies.
• Lakeland Golf Management announced that golf course architecture firm Lobb + Partners will be part of the revitalization of Waterton Lakes Golf Course, an 18-hole layout in southwest Alberta owned by Parks Canada. The course dates back to 1922 and is located within Waterton Lakes National Park. Parks Canada has awarded Lakeland Golf Management the lease to manage, operate, maintain and make capital improvements to Waterton Lakes Golf Course for the next 25 years. Read more.
Monday, May 3, 2021
• Two GCSAA members recently completed the association’s Assistant Superintendent Certificate Series:
Skyler Arnberger, assistant superintendent at The Rail Golf Course, Springfield, Ill.
- Shaun Schlenther, assistant superintendent at The Rail Golf Course, Springfield, Ill.
• Arborjet announced a new addition to its lineup of tools for arborists, landscapers and utilities: the Supersonic Air Knife, which uses high-pressure air to dig trenches, remove compacted soils and locate utilities. The company says the unique Mach 1.7 air speed allows for the removal of even the most compacted soils without damaging tree roots or irrigation or power lines. Arborjet says the tool is ideal for installing or repairing irrigation lines or for sensitive arborist work, such as vertical mulching, bare rooting, radial trenching or soil aeration.
• Prime Source has hired April Allenbrand as its new marketing director. Allenbrand previously worked for PBI-Gordon for eight years.
Saturday, May 1, 2021
• Thirty-one GCSAA members recently achieved Class A superintendent status:
- Cal Baca, Sweetbriar Golf Course, Avon Lake, Ohio
- Dane Bennett, Red Sky Golf Club, Norman Course, Wolcott, Colo.
- Michael D. Bibler, Plum Brook Country Club, Sandusky, Ohio
- Kory A. Brown, Ballard Golf & Country Club, Huxley, Iowa
- Brad Conrad, The Country Club of Sapphire Valley, Sapphire, N.C.
- Terry Durst, WinStar Golf Club, Thackerville, Okla.
- Luke Fisher, River Bend Club, Great Falls, Va.
- Austin Heller, Reliable Property Services, Hickory Hills, Ill.
- Craig A. Howard, The Lakes Country Club, Palm Desert, Calif.
- Michael A. Jordan, Gray Eagle Golf Club & Academy, Fishers, Ind.
- Nevin J. Kotera, Iron Horse Golf Club, Ashland, Neb.
- Christopher Kukor, Williams Golf & Country Club, Weirton, W.Va.
- Frank P. Kulig, Ludlow (Mass.) Country Club
- James Lanza, Elmhurst Country Club, Moscow, Pa.
- Stephen E. Maclay, Valleaire Golf Club, Hinckley, Ohio
- Ryan P. McNamara, Kingwood (Texas) Country Club
- Brett Morris, Browns Lake Golf Course, Burlington, Wis.
- Jorge Papa, Morgado do Reguengo, Portimao, Portugal
- Brian J. Powell, Mark Twain Golf Course, Elmira, N.Y.
- Jeffrey V. Reed, Dayton Golf & Country Club, Evensville, Tenn.
- Andrew Robertson, Washington Golf & Country Club, Arlington, Va.
- Jeffrey K. Sommerer, Osage National Golf Club, Lake Ozark, Mo.
- Roy L. Staley, Latrobe Elks Golf Club, Latrobe, Pa.
- Nathan P. Trone, Quail Valley Golf Course, Littlestown, Pa.
- Kennon Tuck, London Downs Golf Club, Forest, Va.
- Joe M. Valente, Old Greenwood Golf Course, Truckee, Calif.
- Ryan T. VerNess, The Wilderness at Fortune Bay, Tower, Minn.
- Daniel Vetere, Brookmeadow Country Club, Canton, Mass.
- Keith Welter, IMG Academy, Rotonda West, Fla.
- Brian A. Wilcomb, The Golf Club at Little Turtle, Westerville, Ohio
- Shane R. Willey, The Great Outdoors Golf Club, Titusville, Fla.